Monday, August 28, 2017

Astrophotography: Eclipse 2017

I was at work one day when someone asked me what I was doing for the eclipse?   Here in North Carolina it would not be total, but it would be over 90%.  I started thinking about it and a sick feeling rose up in my stomach.  Oh no, I think I am on vacation that week and will miss it?   Well not a bad excuse to miss the eclipse, but I hadn't seen an eclipse since I was in grade school.   Vacation was taking me to Mexico and wondered if I could see it there too?

It turns out the eclipse would be visible in Mexico, but it was only going to be a partial eclipse.  I took my camera hoping to at least get a few shots of what I could.   August 21st came and this happened to be the day a tropical depression which later would become Hurricane Harvey was moving across the Yucatan peninsula.  That meant lots of clouds!!.  I managed to squeak a picture in at the very beginning and then again at the full coverage, but since I was shooting through clouds I never got a great picture.  It was still amazing and I think I will have to take a trip in 2024 for the next one.

 Look real close and you can even see some sunspots.



It's pretty cool to see this no matter how much of the sun gets covered.  However totality is just unbelievable.   Here are some of my favorite pictures of those who where able to see totality under clear skies.  I have looked at so many of these pcitures and they never get old.

Pictures shared from one of my favorite sites:  https://www.cloudynights.com/
















1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this detailed information! This is some of the highest quality content I’ve ever come across....
    Dive indonesia
    <a href="https://www.sanctumdiveindonesia.com/diving-nusa-penida/>dive nusa penida</a>

    ReplyDelete