Sunday, April 26, 2015

A Transgenic World

The definition of transgenic is "of, pertaining to, or being an organism whose genome has been altered by the transfer of a gene or genes from another species or breed."  I work in an industry where my job entails making transgenic plants.   You may have heard these plants called GMOs or genetically modified organisms.    GMOs are a controversial topic and  people have very strong feeling about them on both sides of the fence.  I understand the the importance of the topic since we are talking about our food and what we put inside of our bodies.  I also feel like there is a lot of misinformation and a lack of education on GMOs.  I decided to try and at least share my viewpoint on the topic and maybe, just maybe change someone's mind who may be against genetically modified plants.  

While I love what I do and it is my hope to help make better plants, there are many other things I love to dabble in.  If we switch gears to a more philosophical viewpoint then we can think of our beautiful Earth as an organism.  We human beings are each a collection of lots of genes.  When we are born and come into the world we are transferring these genes for the first time to this wonderful organism we call Earth.  In essence the world is transgenic by the definition above.  It is a collection of so many genes from all of us and each of us alters the world in some way.   Whether it is our job, our relationships, or our actions we are influencing other people and our environment everyday.

How our genes alter and impact the world is the important.  This blog is where I can share some of the ways I make the world transgenic.  I hope to talk about topics ranging from space and astrophotography to GMOs and plants.  I also love gaming and technology and we may even dare to mix science and religion in the same blog.   It will be a grab bag in a transgenic world.

No comments:

Post a Comment