Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Astrophotography Attempt 2: The Orion Nebula

It wasn't long after my very first picture of Andromeda that I had the fever to get another picture.  I just had the SV90 telescope on a simple aluminum tripod with the Nikon D90 DSLR attached.   I wanted to get a glimpse of some color. Most of deep sky objects like nebula and galaxies are not going to really show color if you just look at them through a telescopes eyepiece and if they do, it is faint.   Most often it is just a smudge of black and white.  That is where astrophotgraphy shines. The camera acts as an eye that gobbles up minutes and even hours of light so we can see the colors these beautiful objects really emit.

The Orion Nebula is so bright that the light it emits is visible as a light smudge to the naked eye on a dark night.   For someone that knows what they are doing it can provide a stunning photograph.  I didn't know what I was doing, but still managed to achieve my goal and actually pick up some color that I could not otherwise see just looking with my eye through the telescope.

This is a pretty bad picture of the Orion Nebula, but seeing an object in color made me that much more excited to learn how to do astrophotography.






No comments:

Post a Comment