Monday, September 26, 2016

Science for a Better Life - GMOs and Trait Research

I was thinking the other day about my job and how much I love what I do.   Not only do I work with some amazing people, but I am working in an industry that really is trying to better the world no mater what some critics may say.  I had a friend tell me once that companies with a defined purpose statement are more sucessfull than companies without one.  I have only worked with companies with a purpose statement so I do not have both perspectives,  but I feel like working for a company with purpose makes a huge difference.  For instance our purpose at Bayer is "Science for a Better Life."  I want to be clear here that I am speaking my own personal opinions and not that of Bayer.  This is a personal blog and my personal feelings, but I really feel that we can make a difference in the world with the products and projects we work on.  I feel the drive to innovate to help feed a world whose population is ever increasing.

In my particular job of making genetically engineering crops (GMOs), it is not uncommon for people to ask me many questions or quickly share their own opinions.  Many times they are good questions.   The topic is a volatile one and sometimes those questions can be more of a personal attack.  Those conversations only encourage me even more to try everything I can to educate people on what we do.  Just as importantly I want to show that we who work for these companies care about what we do and the well being of our world.   We all share in the purpose to make a better life for people through science.

A few months ago I had the privilege to help work on a movie that is one more educational tool on what we do.  The other people in the video are all colleagues and friends who are just as passionate as me about helping our farmers and finding innovative solutions to ultimately feed people.  There are so many other people not on that video that also share that conviction.  We trust in science and know these products (including GMOs) are safe.  We feed them to our children because we see and believe in the science.  We proactively educate people everywhere we can.

So enjoy this video and share it with your friends.  It is one more step to learning about who we are.  A large company is nothing more than people and those people are always happy to answer your questions.  I know this because I work with them.  Get to know us.  Ask questions and get the facts before deciding GMOs are not safe.  At the end of the day we all want a better life for our family and kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment