Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Science Perception: Non-GMO Advertisement

We talked about perceptions and the public does not always have a great perception of GMOs.  So can non-GMO really be a selling point?  Of course it is.  I got a taste of it at Lowe's just the other day.  I needed to buy some plants in a pinch to plant for a bunch of kids.  As I walked up to the selection the first thing I saw was a big ole sign.



We all have our beliefs and evidently Bonnie does not believe in GMOs.  That is fine but tell me why.  Why are they bad? I thought I would find more information on their website.   Bonnie advertises as having heirlooms and Hybrids, not GMOs.


I love heirlooms.  They usually are very susceptible to insects or disease, but they are fun to grow and have great taste.  If you garden, then some heirlooms are a great addition.  Hybrids are just pollinating one plant with pollen from another plant.   Both plants used in the hybridization can be non-GMO, but to clarify hybrids can be also done with two plants that are GMO.

Bonnie has some great plants.  I have raised some of their plants and their quality has always been good.  I just wish I could get more explanation on why GMOs are so bad.   The sign is obviously there to get people with a certain perception to buy the plants, but no proof on why they are bad is given.   The business model may be that hierlooms and traditional non-GMO hybrids provide all the profit Bonnie needs.  So why even blast GMOs?  What is the purpose other than to try to get more sales as this type of propaganda preys on the fears of people who don't completely understand GMOs.

I have nothing against Bonnie, but signs like this just keep adding to the perception that GMOs are unsafe.  If they are not safe then show the proof instead of science-less signs.


No comments:

Post a Comment