Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Astrophotography: Pinwheel Galaxy


I had taken a trip to my parents in rural Virginia and had some darker skies than I was accustomed to North Carolina.  .  So it was a good opportunity to try for a new target.   This picture was taken on July 16, 2014.  

The main galaxy you see is called the Pinwheel Galaxy.  It is also know as Messier 101 (M101) and is located right beside the Big Dipper.  It is a spiral galaxy, but appears asymmetrical.  There are actually 5 total galaxies in this picture, but my scope did not resolve them very well.  The interactions of these other companion galaxies with M101 cause the the asymmetry.





My picture stats:






Other facts about the Pinwheel Galaxy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinwheel_Galaxy

No comments:

Post a Comment